Luckily They Still Turned out Fine.
I have lied to my kids
I am blessed to have a son and two daughters. I don’t know if they would feel the same about having me as a father since I’ve lied to them their whole life. I didn’t do it maliciously or even consciously, just like my father never consciously lied to me. I just told my kids the same information that my father told me and his father told him. Our thoughts about wealth, success, and even happiness are ingrained in us as we are growing up. These thoughts are based on what we are told by other people, including our parents. I now work very hard to replace everything I told them with what I now know is the truth.
Here are 10 lies that I told my kids:
- You have to work hard.
- Life is hard.
- We can’t afford that.
- You can’t have that.
- Only a small percentage of people succeed in that business.
- Your scores are too low to get into that college.
- You have to pay your dues.
- It takes five years on average for a business to succeed.
- It takes years to build wealth.
- If you keep frowning your face will stay that way permanently.
Only 8 Days Remaining to Get Your FREE eBook
Now here are the truths:
- You have to have a good work ethic but you do not have to work hard. A lot of people make seven-figure incomes without working really hard. The definition of hard work is different for different people. When I was in the jungle, I saw people who work very hard. They have to work from sunup to sundown just to have something to eat for that day. I make a lot of money and only work 2 to 3 hours a day. Those 2 to 3 hours are spent sitting down, researching and writing. This is not hard work.
- Life is only hard if you think it’s hard and allow it to be hard. Life is great. It’s a pleasure and a blessing to live life every day. Life is meant to be lived to the fullest. There’s nothing hard about that. In the military we always had a saying, “It’s a great day to be alive.”
- We can afford anything that our heart desires. If we change our mindset from someone who has limited income to someone who has unlimited income, then price is no object. If you change your thinking to thoughts of creating wealth then the process of obtaining the money will come to you.
- Everything can be obtained or achieved as long as you believe that you are worthy of it. Our limitations are placed on us by the programming we have gone through growing up. The words and the thoughts that we speak and think are the only thing holding us back from achieving our goals and dreams.
- If we look at statistics it will show us that a small percentage of people ever achieve fame or succeed in their chosen field. The entertainment industry, the sports industry and business shows one percent or less of the people in that industry make it to the top. One percent of the population makes up 96 percent of the world’s wealth. The statistics look grim. Why would anybody want to attempt to make it in these industries? The reason is because the other 99 percent never made the decision to rise to the top. The competition is very small.
- My children are very good students but when it came to taking comprehensive tests, their scores were average. We took them on college tours and my youngest daughter fell in love with the University of Alabama. During the tour we were told that the average test scores needed to gain admission were a lot higher than my daughter’s scores. Several months later, she came to me and said she wanted to apply to the University of Alabama. I laughed and told her to go ahead and apply but there was no way she would get in due to her test scores. A month later, she came to me and said that she thought she got in because in her account, her status had changed to admitted. Stupid me told her that she would know if she got in because she would receive an email saying, “Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Alabama.” An hour later, guess what email she got? That’s right, her acceptance email. All it took was belief and not listening to her dad.
- Back when I was growing up, you had to start at the lowest level and work your way up at any job or business. We called that, “Paying your dues.” That is not the case anymore. Today in this environment you can learn ways to make money in a short amount of time.
- I think every person in business I ever talked to told me that it takes five years on average for a business to succeed. I don’t find that to be true anymore. There are countless examples of people who start a conventional or online business and turn it into a success in a few months.
- It doesn’t take years to build wealth. All you have to do is go online and you can find individuals in their 20s who are making 6-7 figure incomes quickly. They just have the right mindset, desire, and work ethic. 30 years ago when you got on a plane, everyone in first class had gray hair. Nowadays there’s always a mixture of young and old. Young people are making a lot of money very quickly.
- None of my children’s faces ever remained with a permanent frown. Today they smile a lot because of the lives they created for themselves. All it takes to turn a frown into a smile is laughter. Find a funny show, read a funny story, or listen to your favorite comedian, anything that makes you laugh. You should laugh every day. One of the great truths is, “Laughter is the best medicine.” If you’re not feeling well, laugh. It will remove the stress in your body and cure whatever ails you.
“This Train Is Moving ON, You Can Get On, You Can Get Off, But The Train Keeps Moving ON! We Are Going to The TOP of The Mountain!”
I believe in the power of sharing. If I read a good blog that really speaks to me and I believe it will provide value to others, I will share it. I have linked four books that I believe have value. In order to change you, you first have to change the way you think. Leaders Are Readers!
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. A book that will change your life. It answers the question, Why do some people have everything and others struggle? The answer is simple, they know the secret. It has changed my life and can change yours.
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. This is an oldie but goodie that is full of relevant life lessons. It is a book that you hear speaker after speaker refer to. Successful people all have the same mentality and know you have to change the way you think to be successful. Only one percent of people set goals.
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k by Mark Manson. I found this to be a sophisticated yet easy read. This book goes along with a lot of what I write about in my blog. What other people think about you doesn’t matter so you should stop getting stressed out about it. Focus all your energy on what really matters which is you and your goals.
Extreme Ownership: How US Navy Seals LEAD and WIN by Jocko Willink. A book for everyone that I found basic and clear about leadership, teamwork, and having the right mindset. It is full of great stories with useful and applicable lessons. Own every decision you make.
I also highly recommend checking out the Audible Membership from Amazon. I can download great books on the Audible app and listen to them with my AirPods while I go on my morning walks. I use my AirPods every time I exercise. They don’t fall out and the sound is great. You can get any of these products simply by clicking on the links above. If you do purchase any products through my links, I’ll get a small commission from Amazon at no additional cost to you.
I appreciate every like, follow, comment and share. Keep’em coming.