I attended a webinar a couple of weeks ago hosted by Sean Croxton from his website, seancroxton.com. In the webinar, he talked about our limiting mindset when it comes to making money. Our brains protect us which can actually stop us from acquiring abundance. In Episode 43 I talk about the question; What does commitment mean?
Join our team and subscribe to my email list.
The Meaning Of Commitment
Our brain is wired to block us from change. This has happened to me several times when I decided to make a change. Has it ever happened to you that you decided to improve yourself and an assortment of negative things started happening? This is your brain blocking your change. Soon you will slip back into your old habits. Most New Year’s resolutions only last till January 14th. This is why gyms are crowded in January and empty out in February.
75% Of The Solution
The main thing I took away from the webinar was that most people don’t succeed when they try to make a change. The reason for this is that the decision to improve yourself is 25% of the solution. The other 75% is commitment. People simply make a decision but they don’t commit to that decision. If you don’t commit, then you will not be successful.
In relationships, both people must be committed to making it work. Commitment is simply this, it’s 100%. You can’t expect to make a 99% commitment and be successful. It’s all or nothing. If you make your decision, you must commit to it. If you are not going to commit, then don’t make the decision. You will do yourself more harm mentally. Whenever I decided to lose weight and I committed to that decision, I could lose weight rather quickly. If I did not commit to that decision, I wasn’t successful and would beat myself up mentally.
Taking A Punch
When you see a fight before the first punches are thrown both fighters have the same look on their face. They look stern, angry, and focused. When one of the fighters gets hit in the mouth, sometimes you will see a total change in their face. All the adrenaline and anger leaves their body. You can tell that they do not want to continue. This is because they made a decision to fight but weren’t committed to winning.
Our Conflicted Brain
It seems like an easy thing to commit to anything but for whatever reason, most people don’t do it. The reason has to do with your brain which is always in conflict. There are scientists who devote their lives to studying the brain and its many functions. I’m not one of them but I do read a lot and listen to these scientists.
The brain is made up of different parts and each part performs different functions. The main function of the brain is to protect us and keep us safe. It prefers balance. When you decide to make a change it creates a conflict. The way your brain handles this is that it’s wired to pull you back into your comfort zone. As long as you stay in your comfort zone, your brain perceives balance. This is why simply making a decision is not enough for success.
You are probably all heard of the fight, flight, or freeze response to danger. Because your brain under stress operates on your subconscious, you don’t think about what you’re doing. You just react to the situation. Your subconscious thoughts are made up of your training and experience. On 9/11, you saw first responders run into the twin towers while everyone else was running away from them. The only way they could override the brain’s primary function of survival was to be committed to saving as many lives as they could.
A Big WHY
The best way to make a commitment is to have a big WHY. I’ve said this many times before and I will continue to beat this drum. If you have a WHY that is large and emotional, you can be or do anything you want. Your WHY is your commitment. You cannot have an emotional WHY and not be committed.
If you decide you want to lose weight, improve your relationship, or build wealth, commit to that decision. Think about WHY you want to do it. Is it because you want to prove all the naysayers wrong? Maybe you want to improve your health so you can be active with your family? Do you want the peace of mind that comes from being financially independent? Whatever your reason, make it big, and commit to it.
Take a look at my courses!
Commit, commit, commit. It is only through your commitment to your decision to change that you will overcome the conflicts in your brain. Your thoughts from the past are why you are what you are today. The only way to make a change in yourself is to replace all of your old thoughts. Your old thoughts are probably limiting. Understand that we live in an unlimited universe and begin to think in unlimited terms.
Your commitment will allow you to overcome all the obstacles put in front of you by the universe and your own brain. It is only through commitment that success is possible. Commit and succeed.